Spent my Friday night and last day of September with a close, ever-hilarious colleague-friend reflecting on and trading work-life stories from our fumbling early months (“I actually Googled ‘how to talk to people politely on the phone’ omg how ridiculous” -cue laughter) to today at the ninth-month mark (“It’s only this evening as I wrote my monthly email update to my boss that I realized oh – I’m actually the focal person for a few items now!”).
It is always a pleasant surprise, realizing just how much growth has taken place amid the stress and struggles too palpably felt from day-to-day tasks and daily woe. I hope to achieve these few things by the year-end:
- To find value and enjoyment in my current role
- To feel more confident and thus become more independent with directly assigned tasks! Most of my emails to my project team, for instance, are still screened and reviewed for approval…
- To learn when to let go and when to escalate
- To lessen the ‘power distance’ gap
- To simultaneously love what I do and do what I love
Surely 2016 would leave me on a high note…!